Prepare your container the right way to start growing your own fresh ingredients!
Here are the essential steps to get started:
- Get a food-safe bucket for planting. Wash out an old 5-gallon pickle bucket and drill holes in the bottom. Or, head over to Amazon to get the full kit here (one-stop shop, plus free shipping with Prime).
- Grab some pebbles or rocks (any small stones will do) and fill the bottom 3-6 inches of your bucket for an easy DIY drainage system.
- Pick up a bag of fresh potting soil (20 quarts for a 5-gallon bucket, 14 quarts for a 3.5-gallon bucket). We recommend using organic soil whenever possible, because after all, you are what you eat! A healthy source of nutrients for your plants means the same stuff will be in your food. While ordering a Bucket Seedsheet Kit over on Amazon, tack on a bag of organic soil to your order.
- Fill your bucket with soil right on top of those drainage pebbles. Make sure to top off the container to the brim because once moistened, the soil will settle a couple of inches.
- Water your soil so that it is thoroughly wet before planting. Do this in a sink or outside on your patio to spare an indoor mess.
- Plant your Seedsheet seed-side-down on top of the soil, and secure it down using the included green stakes. **
**See our post on watering for the next steps to successfully plant your bucket garden.**