Homemade Hot Pepper Flakes
For the ultimate spicy-lover, grow your own hot peppers and make easy spicy flakes to add to pizzas, stir fry, or any other favorite meal!
- Freshly harvested red cayenne peppers from your Hot Sauce Seedsheet
- Using a dehydrator (on the "fruit" setting) or oven at 200F, arrange peppers on a tray and dry for about 3 hours or until the flesh is crisp.
- Remove peppers from the oven and take off the stems over a tray to contain the seeds.
- Grind dried peppers in a food processor or coffee grinder to make your own DIY hot pepper flakes. Store in a spice jar and use as desired.
Other tips for your dehydrated peppers:
- Keep the peppers whole and string on a needle and thread to hang in a kitchen window for "organic" decorations. Pluck one when you're ready to turn up the heat!
- Store dried whole peppers in a ziploc bag in a cool, dry place.
- Decorate spice jars with lids for fun DIY holiday gifts.