- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Slice your garden-fresh zucchini into long, thin ribbons using a mandolin or a vegetable peeler into a large bowl. If you're using a peeler, rotate the zucchini once you reach the seeds on one "face". Take your time in this step. The wider peels with some skin still on will be the easiest to skewer.
- After accumulating a heaping pile of ribbons, gather your skewers. Stack a few ribbons on top of each other, and fold like an accordion.
- Stick a skewer in the middle of this folded stack and push through.
- Repeat this folding process with additional stacks of ribbons, and keep adding to your skewer until you reach about an inch from the end. Fill up as many skewers as you have ribbons for!
- Combine olive oil, garlic, salt & pepper in a small bowl. Brush this mixture, on top, lightly coating the zucchini. Sprinkle hot pepper flakes on top.
- Grill for 2-3 minutes on either side, or until slightly browned and tender.
- Double up your skewers by adding layers of thinly-sliced carrot with your zucchini strips.
- Sprinkle a little finely-shredded cheddar on top of your zuke skewers for a cheesy finish.
- Try other sauces--creamy, bbq, etc for a different take. That's the beauty of zucchini, it goes with just about anything!
*Inspired by The Greedy Vegan !