Grow-your-own guilt-free Valentine’s Day treats.
(Sharing is optional.)
1 large beet roasted & peeled
1 cup milk of choice (cow/almond/oat/goat/ETC)
Splash of vinegar
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup oil
2 t vanilla
1 cup flour
1/2 cup baking cocoa powder
1 t baking soda
1/2 t baking powder
dash of salt
- Blend cooked beet with a splash of water until smooth.
- In a large bowl, mix milk and vinegar and let sit for a few minutes to curdle.
- Mash beets (with potato masher) or puree in blender/food processor until smooth.
- Add pureed beets to milk mixture.
- Mix together flour, cocoa, soda, powder, and salt in a separate bowl, and then add slowly to the wet ingredients.
- Whisk together until all of the lumps are broken up, and the batter is smooth.
- Pour batter into muffin liners in mini-muffin pan.
- Bake 15-18 minutes at 375F, until they pass the clean-toothpick test.
- Let cool on a rack or plate…and for added decor, sprinkle powdered sugar or cocoa on top.
If in the end, Valentine's Day is just you, Netflix, & these beet cupcakes, we won’t judge.
Join our mailing list at the bottom of the page for more recipes and weekly garden tips!