Homegrown Caprese Flatbread Recipe
Everyone loves flatbread pizza, but have you ever grown your own fresh toppings? It's no secret that homegrown tomatoes & basil are the sweetest ingredients you can find! Make your garden your one-stop-shop to compliment that cheesy, savory bite.
Let's be real. It's difficult to know how "fresh" the tomatoes and basil are in the grocery isle, let alone if the produce is organic and nonGMO! Conventional tomatoes and basil can be treated with all kinds of pesticides and herbicides, and sit on the shelf for weeks to degrade in flavor and nutrients. Clearly, it's not only the sweet, tempting taste of fresh ingredients that can lead to growing your own for the ultimate flatbread.
Having the fresh tomatoes instead of store bought pizza sauce makes your creation 1,000 times better and more tasty. And topping off your pizza with fresh basil gives it that fresh, kick of flavor you're craving. Of course we'd never forget about the mozzarella, fresh pizza dough, and homemade hot pepper flakes. With the combination of your freshly-harvested ingredients and these welcomed additions, you'll be able to make a simple, crowd-pleaser dinner!
4 glacier tomatoes (small, slicer tomatoes)
1 cup fresh basil leaves
1 large mozzarella ball
¼ cup flour (to prevent dough from sticking)
¼ cup olive oil
Fresh pizza dough
- Pre-heat oven to 500℉
- Cut tomatoes into round, thin slices.
- Tear or cut mozzarella ball into slices.
- On a piece of parchment paper, sprinkle flour to cover the surface and roll the pizza dough into a circle. (Toss into the air if you dare...)
- Transfer the parchment paper with the dough onto a baking sheet.
- Drizzle olive oil over the dough and add hot pepper flakes, salt and pepper on top.
- Arrange the tomato slices, then add mozzarella on top to cover the surface of the dough.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes (rotate at ~7 min if your oven has hot spots).
- While the flatbread is baking, julienne the basil into thin strips.
- Remove the flatbread from the oven and let cool ~5 min (patience!).
- Sprinkle the basil and hot pepper flakes (to-taste) and enjoy!
PRO TIP: To make a personal-sized flatbread just cut the fresh dough in half before rolling it out and refrigerate or freeze the other half.