How to Make a Spaghetti Squash Vegducken
For Thanksgiving (or any cozy holiday meal revolving around meat), there's no reason why vegetarians should have to miss out on all the trendy food recipes. From rainbow pickles to homegrown hot sauce, there are plenty of ways to dress up garden harvests.
Enter: The Spaghetti Squash Vegducken. Of course you don't HAVE to be vegetarian to enjoy this meta plant-based creation. Everyone will appreciate the deliciousness that results from your own homegrown ingredients, and it wont take much to love it.
spaghetti squash vegducken recipe video:
1 large spaghetti squash
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 leek
- 2 sticks of butter
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red onion, roughly chopped
- Handful of thyme
- Bunch of parsley, reserve a few sprigs for the end
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (seasoned or unseasoned)
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 1T fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1T olive oil
- kitchen baking twine
- (PBR tall boy = optional)
How to make a Spaghetti Squash Vegducken:
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Spread pecans on a baking sheet and roast for 5 minutes, or until fragrant (careful not to burn!).
- Slice spaghetti squash in half lengthwise, and scoop out seeds.
- Peel skin off sweet potato, slice in half lengthwise, and scoop out the insides of each half, reserving the inner raw flesh.
- Slice zucchini in half lengthwise, and scoop out insides and reserve.
- Slice the leek in half lengthwise.
- In a medium saucepan, melt both sticks of butter and add in chopped garlic and thyme sprigs to simmer for 5 minutes. Discard thyme sprigs.
- In a food processor, combine sweet potato flesh, zucchini flesh, sweet peppers, onion, toasted pecans, breadcrumbs, parmesan, lemon juice and salt. Process this until the mixture is uniform, and makes a thick paste.
- Scoop this mixture into a large skillet drizzled with olive oil, and cook for about 5 minutes to heat through.
- Score the insides of the spaghetti squash, zucchini, and sweet potato halves and place on a sheet pan lined with foil. Brush the garlic butter mixture on the inside of each half, reserving about a 1/4 cup.
- Start with the spaghetti squash, and scoop a layer of the “stuffing” to line the inside of each half. Place each zucchini half in each spaghetti squash half, and layer more stuffing in each. Next, add the sweet potato half in each of the zucchini halves, and spread in the last bit of of the stuffing. Place each piece of leek down the middle of each sweet potato.
- Take a few lengths of twine, and slip one piece underneath one spaghetti squash half, adding the other half of the squash on top. Tie the squash halves together to stabilize. Tie a couple more pieces of twine around the entire spaghetti squash to keep in place.
- Brush the top of the spaghetti squash with the reserved melted garlic butter, and some additional chopped parsley.
- Wrap entire squash in tinfoil and bake on a baking sheet for 2 hours.
- Carefully remove from oven, take off tin foil and let rest for 20 minutes. Slice into 1” slices and serve, topping with chopped fresh parsley at the end.
!!! VOILA !!!
GROW YOUR OWN Vegducken garden by Customizing a Seedsheet:
Grow fresh herbs, vegetables and large fruiting plants with the Custom Seedsheet layouts here. Choose from 60+ different organic & nonGMO seed types to curate your own Vegducken destiny.